jbedingfield's Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Getting things done.

The five stages of getting things done is an important concept for anyone to read.  Personally, I don't know anyone who isn't busy! The collection process is one of the more important items in this process. My collection includes: This class, teaching, coaching, family to do s and many more to list. 
The process is something I found interesting in the reading.  The most interesting item is delegation.  Being a leader in the school system I could delegate to teachers for schoolwork and other coaches for basketball.  Being in a position of leadership allows you to do this, but I haven't found it to be the most productive way.  I always have found if I want something done my way then I better do it myself.

Organizing the to do list is a step that is a working process for me.  I try to do my teaching to do s first because it's my job.  Then I try to do my schooling second, basketball third then I'll probably put off my family to do s until next summer. HA!  Organizing these tasks is the best way to accomplish them.

The doing part of the list is where I really work the hardest.  If I spent more time in the first three parts I probably wouldn't have to work so hard at this step.  One of the basis is "How much energy do you have?" This is a question I have to ask myself all the time.  Usually I leave at 6:30 in the morning to go to morning shootings then start teaching at 7:30 until 3:00.  After school I go home and change and go back to basketball for a few hours. By the time I get home to begin working on the next day in the classroom or schoolwork, it's 8:00.  This doesn't include showering, spending time with my wife and kids or eating. HA!  This probably sounds familiar with everyone reading this I'm sure. Everyone is busy.

Reviewing is something that I'm not really good at yet.  Usually once the tasks is done, it's done.  This is why I put it last on my list. I haven't really learned or had time to learn how to properly review. 

My work flow system will be to collect what I have to do each month.  I will begin adding to my google calendar my list of to do s . Then I will organize it by going through a letting go process of what I can allow others to do, so it frees my time up for more important tasks.  After these two are finished I will begin completing them.  I believe this is a good start to getting things done.

1 comment:

  1. Google Calendar will be a great tool for you. My wife and I just started one as a means of communication. We have shared it, and add items as they come up. Already it is proving to be beneficial for both of us.
    Isn't it hard to let go of tasks and responsibilities? Especially when you are afraid that it won't get done as well. In this sense, I am a control freak, and someone who doesn't always trust others to do as good of a job. However, I've learned that I just have to let go...sure, I may have been able to do a better job, but I'm sure happy I had the time to do other things.
    Good luck as you "get things done"!

    ReplyDelete