jbedingfield's Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

PC Maintenacnce and Security

 In the tutorials I viewed, I learned about some things that will save me some time and secure my computer in the near future.

 The first useful tutorial was one on backing up my computer.  Two weeks ago I learned that choosing the right tool to back up your computer is very important. I lost my harddrive which contained all my lessons including my smart notes from 6 years of teaching, my basketball playbook which was about 125 pages of hard work dating back eight years and the worst of all 3 was my picture and video from the first few years of marriage and having my kids. After watching the tutorial I learned that one should try multiple places to back up their hard drive.  For example one should back up on an external hard drive and also on the internet.  A few easy internet sites to look for is mediamax or even google.   The one I'm going to look into though is allmydata.com.  This site will back up most of your files for a low cost.  I also checked on some review sites and it came highly recommended. 

A lot of times I run into forgetting passwords and user names. I'm sure people everywhere are forgetting many user names and passwords.  The next tutorial I found useful was roboform.com this site allows you to safely secure all your usernames and passwords.  This is going to be my best friend because a lot of times I forget many of my user names and passwords or I do something I shouldn't do and use the same one for everything.  Roboform has a useful toolbar that allows users to save each password for each site with a few clicks of the mouse.  It allows allows you to enter your information for many fill out boxes you might run across. 

Finally the most important tutorial for the future was all the free scanning devices online one can use to find out if their computer is affected with spyware. House call looks to be the best user friendly website to find out if you computer has been infected with some type of spyware.  My wifes computer had many errors and problems this summer, so I wish I would have known about these programs beforehand.  I believe that these free programs need to be out there for many people to use.

In these tutorials I will use the three tutorials that I posted on to share them with my colleagues at work.  It is my job at school to share this information with staff and make them aware that they exist.  I plan on using the online backup from either allmydata or mediamax and I have already signed up for Roboform and have currently been running the program.  The information that surprised me was that there was free spyware scanner on the net that wasn't a virus in itself.  You just never know what is good and what is bad.  I found these tutorials very helpful! Thank you

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine losing all those files! You must have been devastated. Hopefully it will never happen again!
    It is amazing what is available...
    Share on!

    ReplyDelete