jbedingfield's Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Learning styles Blog post

Throughout my education I have found that I'm a Kinesthetic learner. I learn best when I'm up moving around or actually creating something with my hands.  I hated to sit through long lectures or stay seated for long periods of time. I have found that I'm the same way as an educator. My students almost get whiplash as I walk around the room and give them instructions. 


I think the least effective strategies for me as a student was when a teacher would assign popcorn reading or just have us read a section in the book and fill out a worksheet.  I would forget what the lesson was about right after leaving the class or the next day.  That's why as an educator I find it important to review the material from the previous day and teach the lesson in a new way if needed.


For example, I might use the smartboard for the kinesthetic learner to introduce the lesson one day. The next day after a quick review the auditory learner will pick up the material.  Usually I will group the students after the review so they can learn from others.  Then I would go more in depth with the material by presenting on the elmo and having the students create a visual in their groups.  This is the best way to incorporate every learning style the best one can in the classroom. 


The major focus of an educator should be to identify their struggling students and incorporate their learning styles the best way possible.   For example if the majority of my students who struggle are visual learners and not auditory learners then I will print out the notes and allow them to focus in visually on the smartboard instead of taking notes.  This sometimes helps them visual the concepts easier.  

1 comment:

  1. Excellent reflection. I can relate with your kinesthetic style of learning...
    I think your focus is excellent.

    ReplyDelete